global gateway program

Application HELP

Do You Have Questions?

Only use this online application form if you are applying to the University of Vermont independently. If you have contacted an educational agent in your own country, please apply through them.

Please complete the application form in English.

Section 1 - Select a Program

Question Explanation
Level of degree program you want to study? Please choose the level of degree you are applying for:
  • 'undergraduate' for a first degree - bachelor's program
  • 'graduate' for a second degree - master's program
We cannot help with graduate applications. You will be directed the correct application form.
How are you applying to the University? Choose your expected admissions status to the University of Vermont from the drop-down list:
  • Through the Global Gateway Program - choose this if you have an English level below 80 TOEFL iBT or 6.5 IELTS. If you meet these English language requirements, you can still choose to join the Global Gateway Program, dedicated to international student success.
  • Direct entry to a bachelor's degree - an option if you have an official English score of 90 TOEFL iBT or 6.5 IELTS or above.

If you have already completed some University study in your home country, or in another US university, you are know as a Transfer applicant. You can apply for the Global Gateway Program or Direct Entry.

Your admissions eligibility will be determined by the University of Vermont based on your application supporting documents.

Do you know the subject you want to study? If you are unsure which undergraduate major you want to study, choose 'Don't know yet'. You do not have to choose a major until Year 2 of your degree program.
Which University of Vermont academic school are you applying to? Whether you know which major you want to study or not, you must apply to one of seven academic schools at the University. See the degrees offered at each academic school.

Section 2 - Student Details

Question Explanation
Primary language of education Select the language in which the majority of your classes were taught at the schools and universities you have attended.
Do you have a valid I-20 from another US school or university? An I-20 is an immigration document given to international students when they enroll at a US university. If you are already studying in the US, your I-20 will need to be transferred to the University of Vermont. Please send a copy of your current I-20.

Section 3 - Parent/Guardian Details

Do not enter your own contact details!

If you are under 18 years old when you apply for the University of Vermont, provide contact details for a parent or legal guardian.

If you are over 18, provide details of the person who can be contacted in the case of an emergency when you are at University in America.

Question Explanation
Relationship to student How the person is connected to you, e.g. father, mother, brother, guardian

Section 4 - Spouse and Children

Enter details if your husband, wife, or children will stay with you in the USA when you are studying at the University of Vermont. This information is required for US visa purposes.

Question Explanation
Relationship to student How the person is connected to you, e.g. wife, husband, son, daughter

Section 5 - Criminal/Disciplinary Record

Criminal and disciplinary record
If you answer 'yes' to either question about your criminal and disciplinary record, you must submit a full statement (in English) of relevant facts including the approximate date of the incident(s):

Section 6 - Financial Information and Agreement

Financial information
We offer scholarships up to a maximum of 20% of the annual cost of studying at the University of Vermont. You must have access to funds to pay for the remainder of your study. To obtain a student visa, you will be required to present financial documents to the US Consular Office in your country to prove that you have enough money available to you. The amount depends on the ISC program you are eligible for:

Program Funds required*
Global Gateway Program - 3 terms
USD $65,000
Global Gateway Program - 2 terms USD $51,663
Undergraduate degree USD $55,000

* Amount is more than the tuition fee because it also covers living expenses.


Question Explanation
Agreement by the student As the person applying to become a student at the University of Vermont you should check this box to indicate that you agree to our Terms and Conditions of admissions.
Agreement by the financial sponsor or fee payer The person responsible for paying your fees should make this agreement. Checking the box is the equivalent of signing the application form to formally declare to pay all fees as they become due, in accordance with our Terms and Conditions.
Agreement by the parent or guardian This box needs to be checked by your parent or guardian if you are under 18. Full details of the medical release authorization are given in the Terms and Conditions.

Section 7 - Previous Education and Test Results

Applicants MUST send a copy of official transcripts for their final 3 or 4 years at High School (translated in English is necessary).

Certified originals of all transcripts and score reports will be required upon registration at the University.

Question Explanation
Type of school Beginning with High School (or Secondary School), give details of each education institution you attended.
Click the 'Add another row' button to give details of any institutions after High School.
If you continued to study after High School, but not on a degree program, choose 'Post Secondary' as the type of school.
Average grades/results/GPA Grade Point Average (GPA) is used in the US education system to indicate level of academic achievement. A score is calculated on a scale of 0-4, with 0 being a fail and 4 being the highest grade. Use World Education Services' free grade conversion guide to compare the grading systems in your country with the American GPA system, and enter your GPA equivalent into the box.
Qualification awarded Give the name of the High School Graduation Certificate you got when completing your studies, e.g.:
  • International Baccalaureate
  • HKCEE (Hong Kong)
  • Upper Middle School Graduation Certificate (China)
  • Certificate of Complete Secondary General Education (Russian Federation)
  • General Secondary Education Certificate (Saudi Arabia)

Test scores

If you have taken any of the standard US university admissions tests listed, select it from the dropdown:

Question Explanation
TOEFL/IELTS The University of Vermont accepts the standardized exams from TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and IELTS (International English Language Testing System) as proof of English language proficiency. However, you do not need an official TOEFL or IELTS score to apply to the Global Gateway Program.
Password The University of Vermont accepts this alternative to TOEFL or IELTS. You can take this English test for free at a Study Group or representative's office in your country. If you have already taken the Password test, tell us your score.
SAT/ACT Standard University placement exams for American High School students. Tell us if you have taken one of these tests.
We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. See our information for current students, or if your course has not yet started read our FAQs.