Vermont's location widely recognized as great for students
August 20, 2013
Burlington, home to the University of Vermont, is listed as one of the '10 Best Places to go to College', with good reason: arts, recreation, international cuisine and safety - everything a student could ask for in an experience of a lifetime.
Flanked by colorful stores, restaurants, coffee shops and local bookstores, Church Street in Burlington is the heart and hearth of Burlington, but the city offers so much more to students, a well-matched complement to the excellent academic and research facilities at the University of Vermont.
Over 10,000 students enjoy an unprecedented quality of life in Burlington, many of whom are enrolled at University of Vermont which overlooks the city and Lake Champlain. Collegia ranked Burlington as #7 most student-friendly US city for populations under 1 million.
In addition, local internship opportunities abound with several large companies including: Burton Snowboards, General Dynamics, General Electric, Goodrich, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, IBM, Pizzagalli, and world-famous ice cream maker Ben and Jerry's, all in the area. Scenic views, outstanding recreational opportunities and access to urban resources are just some of the reasons A&E ranked Burlington one of the "Top 10 Cities to Have It All. Burlington has also been ranked one of the "25 Most Livable Cities" in America with under 100,000 people by the US Conference of Mayors; and Outdoor Explorer magazine calls it the "#1 Place for Families that Love Outdoor Sports".
Other Burlington distinctions
- Named one of the top 10 college towns in America in The Princeton Review's 'Best Colleges Guidebook'
- Awarded "Dream Town" status for real life and real jobs by Outside magazine
- Named one of "America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations" by The National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Named 7th hippest arts town by 100 Best Small Arts Towns in America
- Named 2nd healthiest (United Health Foundation) and 2nd happiest (Self magazine) place to live in the USA
- Ranked 6th best family-friendly place in the nation by Reader's Digest
- Rated 4th most enlightened town by the Utne Reader
- Rated "One of the 50 Best Places to Live" and "Editor's Pick in the Northeast" by Men's Journal
- Featured as one of the "5 Best Places to Live and Ride" by Bike magazine
More about the location of University of Vermont in New England